She is a beautiful, wonderfully made, charismatic little princess.

And when I say "princess," I mean princess! I'm not referring to one of those little girls who like to play dress up and act like a princess. I'm talking about an honest to goodness, tiara-wearing, legitimate princess - or so Madalynn is convinced. Of course, Mike and I encourage this behavior. What we didn't take into account was the zeal with which she would embrace her faux royalty (the "faux" part is just between you and me, of course, as Madalynn will hear none of that). Madalynn truly believes that she is special. I have to admit that I love this quality about my daughter because it is a stark contrast to what I believed about myself when I was a child. It took me years (okay, maybe decades) to walk with the confidence and love for myself that Madalynn so naturally has. I am determined to never squash this quality in her that the world outside has such a tendency to temper.

While some might think that allowing Madalynn to believe she's a princess will cause her to grow up with an inflated ego, I believe we're simply reinforcing to her the way that God sees her (you and me, for that matter). I can't imagine a better start in life for her than knowing who she is in Gods eyes. Not only is Madalynn the apple of her Daddy's eye; she is beautifully, wonderfully made, a royal princess in her Heavenly Father's eye. Having said that, if how we think influences the reality of our walk in life; then I wish I could have grown up with Madalynns same princess outlook on life.

Mar 18, 2009

Loving our World Together Hand in Hand

See tiny fingers and tiny toes, Bright baby eyes, cute baby nose; Hear baby gurgles and baby sighs, As Mom and Dad sing lullabies. Life is changed, but that's okay; It's fun to spend glad hours each day, Taking time for all the good That comes along with parenthood. By Joanna Fuchs